In this pre-recorded video course, you will be following along with me in real time as we create highly textured paintings in acrylic using only a palette knife. You will learn how to approach palette knife painting with energy, and how to loosen up and lean in to the freedom of knife painting. Step by step we will create two of my favorite 11x14" seascape paintings, and you will gain real skill as you quickly master my technique. I am excited to give you my knowledge, gained from my ten+ years of palette knife painting, which will fast track your success. Most of all, it's fun!
What people are saying...
'"Lisa I’m so happy I signed up for your online workshop, it was just so inspiring! I needed something new to jump start my daily practice that I’ve let fall by the wayside during the stress of the pandemic. Your little flower projects were so much fun, the instruction was clear and you’ve given us so many tools to carry on with. I’ll never paint the way you do, but I just wanted to have fun and I’m very grateful for your kind teachings. Thank you and I can’t wait for your next workshop!"
"I am super excited for this course and for the fact that you chose to start with flowers! I always eagerly await to see your paintings on Instagram and am so grateful that you will share your technique with us! Thank you!"
"Thanks so much for your workshop Lisa, it has really helped me identify and improve on mistakes I was making with my own art, I am excited for possible future workshops."
- Sailboats And Seagulls Palette Knife Tutorial - Video Part 1: Intro, Blocking in the sky, clouds, sun, horizon & water. (35:11)
- Sailboats And Seagulls Palette Knife Tutorial - Video Part 2: Adding the sailboats, waves and sand. (17:19)
- Sailboats And Seagulls Palette Knife Tutorial - Video Part 3: Adding the wildflowers, seagulls & signature. (31:09)
- Sailboats And Seagulls Palette Knife Tutorial - Video Part 4: Finishing the edges. (8:28)
- Paint Colors
- Reference Photo
- Coastal Wildflowers Palette Knife Tutorial - Video Part 1: Blocking in the sky, the sun, and the horizon.. (33:17)
- Coastal Wildflowers Palette Knife Tutorial - Video Part 2: Adding the land, trees, water, waves and reflections. (17:08)
- Coastal Wildflowers Palette Knife Tutorial - Video Part 3: Adding the wildflowers and signature. (17:30)
- Coastal Wildflowers Palette Knife Tutorial - Video Part 4: Finishing the edges. (8:15)
- Paint Colors
- Reference Photo
Hi, I’m Lisa
From my studio in the San Francisco Bay, and through my community on social media, I have created a vibrant style I call Deep Impasto, which I am now offering to painting lovers who span the globe in the form of online video courses!
I want my students to benefit from my years of experimentation to fast track their skill, and learn the abandon of loose and gestural palette knife painting. Painting with a knife evokes energy and movement, which will ignite your passion, and build confidence in every area of your artistic practice.
More than anything, I find great joy and purpose in art, and I have a vision to share this empowering approach with my students, to demonstrate that you too can develop your own skill, and bring your joyful style to life!
What you will get in this course
- Full supply list of my favorite products
- Intro and welcome video
- Tutorial One: Full 92 Minute real-time demonstration how to paint 'Sailboats and Seagulls'.
- Tutorial Two: Full 76 Minute real-time demonstration how to paint seascape 'Coastal Wildflowers'.
- Tutorial Three: Full 21 Minute real-time demonstration how to varnish your acrylic paintings.
- Private Community Facebook Group to share your work and connect with other students
- Support Video 1: Palette knives explained
- Support Video 2: Paint: Oil or Acrylic explained
- Support Video 3: Basic Set-up
- Support Video 4: Paint Colors
- FAQS updated with course questions
- Student work gallery
- Certificate of Completion
- Instruction from Lisa not found anywhere else online.
Above are the two painting projects that we work through together, step by step. Not only will you paint these, but you will also gain specific skills that you can then build upon and apply to your own art practice!
What you will learn in this course
- What products to use for successful impasto acrylic painting.
- How to set up your work space, and where to begin.
- When to use acrylic or oil paint.
- What palette knives to use, and when.
- How to hold, handle and manipulate a palette knife.
- Blending, yes you can blend with a palette knife!
- Palette knife or painting knife?
- How to approach your palette knife painting, step by step
- What NOT to do with impasto painting
- How to focus and finish a piece in one sitting (Alla Prima)
- Exactly how to lay out the composition of the piece.
- Wet on wet palette knife technique.
- Paint mixing tips.
- Color theory tips.
- Color blocking tips.
- How to loosen up your painting style.
- Tips and techniques from Lisa not found anywhere else online!
Frequently asked Questions
Can you really create textured paintings using only a palette knife?
Yes, you can! Do you find yourself dithering over the details on a brush painting, not knowing when to stop? Well, painting with a palette knife is a great way to prevent yourself from fussing and overworking a piece. The beauty and the joy is in the gestural nature and imperfection of the execution.
When does the class start?
The tutorials will be available when the actual course launches. All content will be available when you join the course, there is no waiting for future tutorials, so you can start when you want, and do the tutorials in any order. It is recommended that you progress through the tutorials as they are listed, as the techniques do build upon each other.
Is there a supply list?
All students gain access to a specific supply list consisting of my favorite products when they join a course, but if you already paint with acrylic paints you may already have what is needed for this course. Go ahead and gather your supplies asap after you join, so you can be ready to start.
Do I need the exact same paints and other products that you are using?
You don't have to use exactly the same products I'm using, however, if you are using cheap craft or student grade paints and plastic palette knives, you will not achieve great results. I always recommend you use the highest quality art supplies that are within your budget.
Who is this class for? Do I have enough experience?
It's for anyone with some painting experience. A good art foundation is recommended to gain the most valuable results, however my courses are step-by-step, and with practice, you too can have great results.
I'm not computer/tech savvy. Will I be able to take this class?
There will be some computer and internet skills required to be able to access the classes. All you'll really have to do is create an account, log in, and know how to watch/download content from the web. The platforms used to deliver the content for the class and interact are Teachable, and Facebook. Teachable even offers an app for students, which which makes it really easy to view content and progress through a class.
Do I have to join the Facebook group?
No, you don't, but it is highly recommend for further learning and growth, as well as a sense of community. The Facebook group is not for individual instruction, it is to share your progress with other enrolled students.
How long do I have access to the course?
You will have lifetime access to the course! So long as my online school exists, you will have full access to all the material. Take it at whatever pace you like. Watch it whenever, wherever, and as many times as you like!
Is this class a one time payment or a monthly subscription?
This class is a one time payment and you will not be charged monthly.
Is this a live, or pre-recorded course?
This course is entirely pre-recorded, so you can take it when it works best with your schedule.
If I recreate these projects using your instruction, can I sell the artwork afterward?
You may use any of the techniques and color palettes provided in the tutorials to create your own unique artwork to sell. You may not sell recreated class projects, as they are my own original artwork and concepts.
My Deep Impasto® branding is a trademark, and may not be used in any official literature to sell your art. Thanks!
Please feel free to share your work using the hashtag #deepimpasto on social media.